I learned about The Moon and You: A Woman's Guide to an Easier Monthly Cycle when the author, Barbara Hanneloré, told me she'd selected words from The Woman's Belly Book for her book's page one. I'm honored Barbara chose my invitation — that we women consider our bellies as sheltering "the creative energy kin to the majestic Power of Being informing the universe" — to set the direction for her book.
In a warm and personal voice, Barbara offers practical ways to address, reduce, and perhaps eliminate pre-menstrual and menstrual distress, both emotional and physical. She does so by reframing the monthly cycle as an ally, not an enemy, provoking us to balance our lives in every dimension. She offers us the possibility of understanding and experiencing the menstrual cycle that we embody as kin to the cycle of moon phases and the circling of seasons in nature at large.
Organized in five sections, illustrated with delightful line drawings, the book guides us to:
- explore our connection with these cycles of nature;
- validate and nurture our inner lives with self-awareness and self-care in a variety of expressions;
- nourish our bodies with balancing foods, herbs, and physical practices of many kinds;
- understand the impact of cultural beliefs and values regarding menstruation on our personal experience;
- remember and then re-imagine our first menstruation — menarche — as welcoming us into womanhood in the way we've always wanted.
Each section provides references enabling the reader to investigate topics in greater depth. And each section concludes with an activity that helps the reader to integrate ideas and practices into the details of daily life.
[click on "Continue reading" below for more]