Spirit Garden: Explorations in the Spiritual
Author, shaman, and psychic medium Catt Foy shares experiences and knowledge on a wide range of spiritual topics.
More on Lilith in Astrology
My first post about Lilith, the Dark Moon, seemed to strike a chord with a number of readers here at Witches and Pagans. In light of that interest, here is some more information about Lilith.
Here is a brief overview of Lilith’s placement in the signs of the natal chart. As with anything in astrology, her influence must be interpreted within the context of the total chart.
· Aries: Lilith in Aries is straight-forward about her sexuality and may use it to feel powerful. Applied in a negative manner, there may be temper tantrums or bratty behavior. Since Aries is the “baby” of the zodiac, there may be infantile behavior, or a need to be babied by a sexual partner on an emotional level. But Aries is also a pioneer, good at starting things, and brave, so someone with Lilith in Aries may find themselves in relationships that are very intense in the beginning, but may often find that they quickly become bored.
There may be experiences early in life with sexual assault or violence, or from previous lives. The native may be a little frightened, or sexually defiant, refusing to conform to any norms of conduct. The individual may fear that their freedom will be impinged. They desire to be the leader, but may also fear doing so; there may be a fear of one’s own power here.
This placement may indicate past-life experiences as a revolutionary, gladiator, or other warrior whose fighting was merely for the sake of fighting or to obtain freedom. Think Spartacus.
· Taurus: Lilith in Taurus may hide money or possessions, and there will be a great deal of secrecy regarding finances. This can also indicate miserliness, or a refusal to share one’s resources with others. In relationships, there will be the tendency to possessiveness and jealousy, and a person with Lilith in Taurus may treat partners as though they own them. Lilith is a moon, after all, and as such deals with emotions—mostly those emotions that are dark or hidden or secret. Lilith in Taurus may not outwardly show signs of jealousy, but will brood on jealous feelings. Be careful of passive-aggressive behaviors.
This placement may also indicate a certain amount of sexual reticence, or inhibition, a reluctance to trust or let oneself go, giving over to the sheer joy of pleasure.
· Gemini: When Lilith hides herself among the twins, she may exhibit a chameleon-like ability to be whoever she must be at the moment hiding her true thoughts and feelings. If used improperly, the native may be considered “two-faced” or be a vicious gossip.
Emotionally, there may be an inner self that remains hidden from others. The person may be duplicitous, or have a secret love life. With the Lilith in Gemini, the native should strive to integrate these separate selves to achieve personal integrity.
This can also be an indication of what Native Americans called “two-spirits”—people who are both female and male, either emotionally or physically. Here you may have transgender, gay, lesbian, bisexual, or polysexual tendencies, but the person is inclined to hide that part of his or her nature. In this case, especially, it is important that the individual learn to integrate all of the selves and embrace all aspects of his or her own nature.
This can also indicate a “split” self in terms of mental illness and may reveal bipolar or schizophrenic influences. Because Gemini also rules communications, integration may be achieved through speaking openly or writing about one’s internal experiences.
· Cancer: Hidden emotions may come out in ways that affect the physical health. When expressed in ways that are healthy, Lilith’s influence here makes the native a powerful parent, or an activist for the protection of children. When negative, there may be chronic or psychosomatic illness, or a tendency toward martyrdom.
Lilith is considered to be in detriment in Cancer and may indicate hidden childhood trauma, such as sexual abuse. The natives may be tempted to use others’ kind feelings to manipulate them, something learned in childhood. If a woman, she may have learned to use her sexuality to get what she wants. There may be difficulty in having children, either in becoming pregnant, or having medical issues during birth. There may also be a tendency to be more child than one’s own children, and there are issues in being a responsible parent. If you have Lilith in Cancer, learn to become aware of your hidden pain and strive to give up playing the victim
· Leo: Lilith in Leo wants to be admired, but she’ll never admit it. In creative expression, she will do things her own way and never feel obliged to explain herself. Taken to extremes, she becomes the prima donna, demanding and unforgiving. But tempered and used with wisdom, this placement can confer acting ability or tremendous creativity. If that creative spirit is allowed to blossom, the native may not feel such a great need to control every little detail of his or her life.
Natives with this placement may fear expressing their creative talents, fearing an imagined loss of control. Parents with this in their charts may tend to overlook, overshadow or hinder their children in their own personal expression, and attempt to shape them into what the parent wishes them to be.
· Virgo: Lilith in Virgo will often make the native very secretive or repressed in their sexual expression, and there will be much attention to hygiene and health-related. When negative, Lilith in Virgo can be very cold and aloof, or extremely critical of the habits of others. The native may fear being perceived as promiscuous, or there may be a deep religious guilt about sexuality.
Scrupulously clean and focused on hygiene, the native nevertheless may have a desire for secret degradation—of themselves or of others. Think Shades of Grey. Individuals with this placement may have had some sort of substitute mother in childhood—a nanny, perhaps, or a nurse if the native experienced a sickly childhood. There may also be sickness or long-term health issues with children.
· Libra: Lilith in Libra may find herself concerned with the legalistic side of power. She is a defender of women, supportive of laws that curtail abuse or sexual crimes. Taken to extremes, Lilith in Libra may be vindictive against those she perceives to be offenders, and in relationships may be clinging, jealous or manipulative.
Lilith in Libra may also express themselves through another person or partner. Libra lends charm and a flirty way, but may also hide a jealous nature. Beware of violent partners. There may be multiple marriages, as the native cannot long live under the control of another. There may also be issues with child custody or legal battles concerning offspring.
· Scorpio: There are some astrologers who believe that Lilith is the co-ruler of Scorpio, along with Pluto. When placed here, she is powerfully sexual, hypnotic, seductive and wise. When under a negative influence, she can become bitter, vengeful or obsessed.
The natives will take pleasure in knowing the secrets of others and people may find themselves magically confiding in the native. She keeps her own secrets very close. There may be power issues with this native, as they tend to use power over others to make themselves feel better. This placement can also indicate childhood abuses of all kinds. Natives should take care to avoid the temptation to be obsessive in relationships and resist the urge to stalk the ones who get away.
· Sagittarius: Lilith in Sagittarius may hide her emotions beneath a façade of humor or a mask of “niceness.” She may keep her personal philosophies secret from others, keeping her own counsel. In the negative, this placement can indicate haughtiness, self-righteousness, and prejudice.
There may be a tendency to keep making the same mistakes over and over, and missing the learning opportunity. Be careful of being hypocritical.
· Capricorn: Lilith in Capricorn will hardly ever share any emotions, and these natives may seem unapproachable. Achievement and status will be the method employed to feed the hidden need for emotional contact. At its extremes, here is the micro-manager who must control everything.
Lilith is in its dignity in Capricorn. Here we find natives that are practical, ambitious and goal-oriented. There is ambition here, and perhaps political callings. Be careful of scandal, however, if the native is in the public eye. It is important to remember to keep one’s integrity. There may be deprivation in the early life, causing the native to strive for financial security and personal independence. The natives may seem aloof, cold or severe, depending on the rest of the chart.
· Aquarius: Lilith in Aquarius will probably mask the hidden emotions with a series of ever-changing kaleidoscopic surface emotions, and will seem fascinating and elusive to others. The native may be chimerical, fluttering like a fairy from one situation to the next. At its worst, Lilith is Aquarius is irresponsible, remote, and refuses to listen to others.
The native may experience disappointment with regard to hopes and dreams. Perhaps they pursue a career direction for which they have a great desire, but little talent. Sexuality may be very open or experimental, with a willingness to try anything.
· Pisces: Lilith is already secretive, and doubly so in Pisces. This is usually the person who has emotional wounding buried so deeply that they don’t even know it themselves. Lilith’s placement here may instigate behaviors which even the native finds baffling, and if often associated with passive-aggressive and unconscious behavioral patterns. There may be a tendency to play the martyr.
There may be mental illness that is undiscovered, or hereditary, or caused by some sort of abuse in very early childhood or infancy. The natives can be hypnotizing, enchanting, and dreamy. They may find themselves perceived as being witches or capable of putting someone under a spell. Lilith in Pisces should avoid drugs and alcohol at all costs.
By making peace with and embracing our own darkest emotions, we can integrate ourselves. Lilith is one of the keys in astrology which can help us attain that goal.
(Image courtesy of Wikimedia Commons. "Lady Lilith" by Dante Gabriel Rosseti.)
Please login first in order for you to submit comments